Get familiar with the Transforming Maternity Care Blueprint for Action
Featured Blueprint areas for birth centers, hospitals, and health systems:
- Payment reform to align incentives with quality
- Improved functioning of the liability system
- Performance measurement and leveraging of results
- Coordination of maternity care, across time, settings, and disciplines
- Development and use of health information technology
In addition to the summary Blueprint for Action, more detail about specific challenges and recommended solutions of relevance to birth centers, hospitals, and health systems can be found in the Hospitals, Health Systems and Other Care Delivery Systems Stakeholder Workgroup Report (PDF).
Implement a quality improvement project in your facility
- View our Toolkits page for proven quality improvement tools.
- Visit our Progress section to see what quality improvement projects others are working on.
- Learn how to implement and evaluate quality improvement projects with resources in our Bibliography for Leading Change.
- Find more reports of quality improvement efforts, organized by Blueprint Area.
Track and report maternity quality data
Several measures have been adopted by the Joint Commission.
- Resource: Background on NQF Perinatal Measures
- Resource: Instructions for calculating and reporting Joint Commission perinatal measures
- Toolkit: Implementing the Joint Commission Perinatal Core Measure on Exclusive Breast Milk Feeding
- Toolkit: Elimination of Non-Medically Indicated (Elective) Deliveries Before 39 Weeks Gestational Age: Quality Improvement Toolkit
- Public Reporting Initiative: Leapfrog Hospital Survey
- Data collection tools: from the American Association of Birth Centers and Midwives Alliance of North America
Offer a safety course for your staff
Join forces with a state or regional quality effort
View our list of state and regional quality collaboratives.
Share a local success story
Have you been part of the transformation in your community, state, or region? Share your story so others can learn and be inspired.