Get familiar with the Transforming Maternity Care Blueprint for Action
Featured Blueprint areas for consumer advocates:
- Decision making and consumer choice
- Coordination of maternity care, across time, settings, and disciplines
- Clinical controversies (home birth, vaginal birth after cesarean [VBAC], vaginal breech and twin birth, elective induction, and cesarean section without indication)
- Disparities in access and outcomes of maternity care
- Performance measurement and leveraging of results
In addition to the summary Blueprint for Action, more detail about specific challenges and recommended solutions of relevance to consumers can be found in the Consumers and their Advocates Stakeholder Workgroup Report (PDF).
Implement an advocacy project in your community
Work toward transparent reporting of maternity quality data
- Share state-, facility-, and provider-level data from our data center.
- Encourage hospitals in your community to contribute data to the Leapfrog Hospital Survey.
- Encourage women in your community to contribute data to The Birth Survey.
Advocate for childbearing women’s rights
Share Childbirth Connection’s resources on the Rights of Childbearing Women and our guide to Understanding & Navigating the Maternity Care System.
Join forces with a state or regional quality effort
View our list of state and regional quality collaboratives.
Join or start a birth network
Birth networks are grassroots or community-led organizations that offer information, support, and referrals to childbearing women. Find a birth network in your community.
Become a childbirth educator or doula
See a list of organizations that provide training and certification.
Share a local success story
Have you been part of the transformation in your community, state, or region? Share your story so others can learn and be inspired.
Learn about evidence-based maternity care on the Childbirth Connection website
- Access systematic reviews on labor pain, continuous labor support, and cesarean versus vaginal birth.
- Learn more about finding, critically analyzing, and adopting evidence in our Evidence-Based Resource Directory.
- Learn about the problems of overuse, underuse, and misuse in the report, Evidence-Based Maternity Care: What It Is and What It Can Achieve.
- Discover and share Resources for Women.