Get familiar with the Transforming Maternity Care Blueprint for Action
Featured Blueprint areas for health professionals:
- Coordination of maternity care, across time, settings, and disciplines
- Clinical controversies (home birth, vaginal birth after cesarean [VBAC], vaginal breech and twin birth, elective induction, and cesarean section without indication)
- Decision making and consumer choice
- Improved functioning of the liability system
- Disparities in access and outcomes of maternity care
- Performance measurement and leveraging of results
In addition to the summary Blueprint for Action, more detail about specific challenges and recommended solutions of relevance to health professionals can be found in the Maternity Care Clinicians and Health Professions Educators Stakeholder Workgroup Report (PDF).
Implement a quality improvement project where you work
- View our Toolkits page for proven quality improvement tools.
- Visit our Progress section to see what quality improvement projects others are working on.
- Learn how to implement and evaluate quality improvement projects with resources in our Bibliography for Leading Change.
- Find more reports of quality improvement efforts, organized by Blueprint Area.
Work with your institution’s quality leaders to track and report maternity quality data
Several measures have been adopted by the Joint Commission.
- Resource: Background on NQF Perinatal Measures
- Resource: Instructions for calculating and reporting Joint Commission perinatal measures
- Toolkit: Implementing the Joint Commission Perinatal Core Measure on Exclusive Breast Milk Feeding (PDF)
- Toolkit: Elimination of Non-Medically Indicated (Elective) Deliveries Before 39 Weeks Gestational Age: Quality Improvement Toolkit
- Public Reporting Initiative: Leapfrog Hospital Survey
- Benchmarking projects: from ACOG and ACNM (Log-in required to access ACNM project)
- Data collection tools: from the American Association of Birth Centers and Midwives Alliance of North America
Take a safety course with your colleagues
Join forces with a state or regional quality effort
View our list of state and regional quality collaboratives.
Share a local success story
Have you been part of the transformation in your community, state, or region? Share your story so others can learn and be inspired.
Learn about evidence-based maternity care on the Childbirth Connection website
- Access systematic reviews on labor pain, continuous labor support, and cesarean versus vaginal birth.
- Learn more about finding, critically analyzing, and adopting evidence in our Evidence-Based Resource Directory.
- Learn about the problems of overuse, underuse, and misuse in the report, Evidence-Based Maternity Care: What It Is and What It Can Achieve.
Discover and share resources for women
Share Childbirth Connection’s resources on the Rights of Childbearing Women and our guide to Understanding & Navigating the Maternity Care System.
Our Pregnancy Topics provide in-depth coverage of key issues, including an overview, options, best evidence, and tips & tools. Currently, the following topics are available:
- Choosing a Caregiver
- Choosing a Place of Birth
- Labor Support
- Labor Pain
- Cesarean Section
- Preventing Pelvic Floor Dysfunction
- VBAC or Repeat C-Section
- Induction of Labor