Get familiar with the Transforming Maternity Care Blueprint for Action
Featured Blueprint areas for purchasers:
- Payment reform to align incentives with quality
- Performance measurement and leveraging of results
- Coordination of maternity care, across time, settings, and disciplines
- Clinical controversies (home birth, vaginal birth after cesarean [VBAC], vaginal breech and twin birth, elective induction, and cesarean section without indication)
- Scope of covered services for maternity care
- Workforce composition and distribution
In addition to the summary Blueprint for Action, more detail about specific challenges and recommended solutions of relevance to health professionals can be found in the Health Plans, Private and Public Payors, and Liability Insurers Stakeholder Workgroup Report (PDF).
Promote quality initiatives in purchasing/reimbursement for maternity care services
- View our Toolkits page for proven quality improvement tools.
- Visit our Progress section to see what quality improvement projects others are working on.
- Learn about proven quality improvement approaches in our Bibliography for Leading Change.
- Find more reports of quality improvement efforts, organized by Blueprint Area.
Track and report maternity quality data
- Resource: Background on NQF Perinatal Measures
- Resource: Instructions for calculating and reporting Joint Commission perinatal measures
- Public Reporting Initiative: Leapfrog Hospital Survey
Pilot incremental or comprehensive payment reform models
High priority incremental reforms and models for comprehensive reform are reviewed in the Payment Reform section of the Blueprint for Action and all five stakeholder workgroup reports. A model of comprehensive reform was presented in a 2010 TMC Topics webinar, How Payment Reform Can Lower Costs and Improve Quality, with Harold Miller.
Help beneficiaries access evidence-based resources to support informed choice
Share Childbirth Connection’s resources on the Rights of Childbearing Women and our guide to Understanding & Navigating the Maternity Care System.
Our Pregnancy Topics provide in-depth coverage of key issues, including an overview, options, best evidence, and tips & tools. Currently, the following topics are available:
- Choosing a Caregiver
- Choosing a Place of Birth
- Labor Support
- Labor Pain
- Cesarean Section
- Preventing Pelvic Floor Dysfunction
- VBAC or Repeat C-Section
- Induction of Labor